Sunday 6 June 2010

Is he 14 already!

So my 'baby' turned 14 this month!

So here we are remembering how I was when Joe was born....22, newly married, just left the forces, thinking how did I end up here! So at 22 I had no idea what to expect or how I was going to manage as a new wife and new mum, the thought of it just terrified me if I am totally honest.

I met Mark on my last 6 weeks in the Falkland Islands! not planned let me tell you.....I was planning to leave the forces in the April (met Mark in the Aug before) and go and do some travelling....I remember Mum saying that you should do some in your life as you may regret it later! how right was she! not that I would ever tell her that of course!!! :D

So after returning from the Falklands my life then turned in to a roller coaster.....found out I was pregnant on my leave......told Mark! which went better than I thought it would down a phone! he wasn't due back til Nov and I really couldn't leave it that long! then first week of December he proposed, then 30th December we got married! Jan 97 we moved in to our first home together....Mark was away on exercise & I was 4 months pregnant! Mad I know! I still had 3 months to go before I would be leaving the forces, but Joe had other ideas!! I was signed off sick til I left as I had a rough pregnancy.....little did I know then I was having a ready made 3 month old!

So here we were in May and his due date came and went! Huge looking like I was having twins I went in to Salisbury hospital on 31st May, 10 days over his due date I got enduced.....wow, that was an experience!

3 and a half days later!!!!! Joe was born by emergency c-section, I was so scared as I was awake! I tried to stay calm but when they told me he was stuck I worried....a lot!

So at 3am on 3rd June 1996 out came Joe....58 cm long & 10lb 10oz!!!! he was a BIG baby!

The nurses were soo lovely and loved to hold him and let me sleep as I needed a blood transfusion after as he took sooo much goodness from me.

He was gorgeous (of course he still is!); my 'little' man.......always quicker than other kids his age doing things, always interested in lots of more advance stuff....of course I thought it was 'normal' as I didn't know any different.......So jump ahead to this year, Jan 2010 Joe is diagnosed with ASD!

So that explains lots of things, but also fills me with fear....what! what is this thing he has? how do I cope with this? am I alone here or is this something other people deal with? are all ASD kids the same?

These were just some questions that I had

Now in June 2010 I realise that he is special as he is different but sooo intelligent, advanced yet still a child, challenging but rewarding. I am learning so much about this condition that I look at things differently. I won't lie it is really hard to know what is best still, but I am working on it.

Joe is now 14, size 11 (men size) feet, 5'10 inches tall!!!! blonde & blue eyed (heartbreaker in the making!!)

I love you Joe, good, bad and ugly times, but you are you and unique

I am so proud of who you are and who you want to become xxxx

2 comments:

  1. aww thats so sweet!!!sounds like you had a whurlwind relationship and had a beatiful start to a beautiful family.

    what is ASD? isnt that the hole in the heart thing? or do you mean asbergers (SP?)

    anyways you have a beautiful kid (s) ya know! anytime you want to travel you are more than welcome to comevisit me, as long as you dont mind sleeping on blow mattress! we moved and are in a cramped lil place now, haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    I just bumped into youre blog by accident. I live down in the Falklands. Yours is a lovely story. My son is now 6 and he too has been diagnosed with ASD. He is just on the bottom end of it but the diagnosis helped explain a few things. We have been madly buying in and reading books on the subject. I think one of the nicest things that I have read is that children and adults don't suffer from ASD, they live with it. The way I feel is that no matter what my son may have, yes he may be a little "different" but he is and always will be a special person. I rather suspect you feel the same way.
    My best wishes to you all

    ReplyDelete